Point Break

After the wedding we shot a week and a half ago in Malibu, my buddy Rick and I took the Pacific Coast Highway back to Los Angeles. We were both exhausted from an early morning flight, a lot of shooting outdoors and just a long day in general. We had just enough energy to make one stop off the highway and walk down some worn-down stairs to the beach far below.

It’s another edition of Movie Title Wednesday and this week the film is Point Break for obvious reasons I think. I’ve seen the movie and I remember liking it, but I honestly don’t remember much more than Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, a bank robbery and masks.  I know a lot of people who dig this film, curious how many of you out there liked it? I’ve always been a Reeves fan even though most people don’t think he can act. I think he’s a fine actor, the problem is, he has one style that works and that’s about it. Speed is one of my all-time favorite action films and of course you have The Matrix.

I rarely get to the ocean despite living fairly close to California, so I was excited to at least shoot a few images during our day-trip. The ocean is awe-inspiring and frightening for me at the same time. I hope someday to do more of this and have a nice, fat 10-stop ND filter on me so I can really make the images I want to, but in the meantime, I liked how this turned out. I don’t always put a lot of time into processing my images these days, but I spent plenty on this . Phototools was especially useful to help create a nice color contrast between the water and the rocks.

I hope Rick posts his sometime soon because he had a 10-stop and I loved the way his looked right out of the camera.

(exif: canon 5d mark ii, tamron 17-35mm 2.8, 20mm, f/25, iso 100

I like the tones throughout this shot. I really like the nice blue in the water and how it has a bit of white foam to help add a bit of contrast. Great work man!

Very nice to find some scenic shots to mix in during your business trip!

So, if you’re a Keanu fan, how do you like the sad Keanu meme that has been going around? 🙂

3. Jason Hines
    Jason Hines says:

Really nice shot man. Living in Az, it’s amazing how rarely we get out to the ocean even though its only about 4 hours to San Diego. At least we have some clouds in the forecast on the 10 day though!

Killer shot! Love how the rocks pull your eyes out to the ocean! Way to make the most of the long exposure with the small aperture. I invested in a B+W 10stop, but haven’t done much with it… Those square filers with the lens mount look pretty nifty for when you take the plunge!

5. Bob Lussier
    Bob Lussier says:

I love how the rocks pull you into the ocean. I know what you mean about the 10 stop. I took some similar shots in Acadia National Park last summer. At the time I didn’t have a 10-stop. Now I do. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’m getting back up there this year.

6. Steve Beal
    Steve Beal says:

“I am an FBI agent!” Worst actor ever, one of my favorite movies, I’ll watch it every time it’s on cable 🙂 – beautiful shot!