Forrest Gump

(Click to see the spooky house larger in all its spookiness. Looks better with a nice, dark border)

For any new readers, it’s Movie Title Wednesday on my blog, where I try to link a photograph I take to a movie I’ve seen…and enjoyed.

Definitely up there in my Top 10 All-Time Movie list is Forrest Gump. Heck, it’s impact on our culture was big enough to warrant an actual sign on the highway that Forrest Gump “ran” on during the movie (see Kristi’s photo). It was a movie where I felt like I kind of sat there with my mouth open at times, completely sucked into the story that was unfolding before me. I think the first time I saw it was at the same time that a new theatrical sound system had been released and I just remember the auditorium rocking with all the big moments.

If you haven’t seen the film, I would be shocked. But if you really haven’t, go check it out…Tom Hanks is amazing, the writing, the acting, the story…it’s brilliant.

I was a bit curious when writing this up on how many people would know the way this relates to Forrest Gump without me connecting the dots. Take a guess and then read on.

If you recall, Jenny was abused as a child by her drunk father and years later returned to her old home…an old house on a farm completely falling apart. She starts throwing rocks at it and afterwards Forrest has it bulldozed to the ground.

It was always an important scene in the film and it’s one of the first things I thought of when I passed this abandoned farm house out in Kansas last week. I knew right away that I’d process it in a creepy way to really bring home that scene in the film and how it might have looked to Jenny standing there so many years later.

(exif: canon eos 5d mark ii, tamron 17-35mm 2.8, 27mm, iso 100, f/16)

1. Scott Ackerman
    Scott Ackerman says:

Great shot and great movie! Definitely one of my all time favorites. It’s one of those Epic stories that will be around for generations. Love how it ties in all the historical elements.

2. Heath O'Fee
    Heath O'Fee says:

Such a great composition, Mike…the placement of everything in this frame is spot on.

Forrest Gump is up there on my list as well, and I like how you tied it into this image. Great work, dude.

3. Jan Winther
    Jan Winther says:

Great story, great movie and what a great shot. I have seen the movie a couple of times, however its been years now. Maybe its time to dig it out and watch it again.

Mike, you nailed that scene with this photo. That is such a great movie and you did it wonders with your post today. Hmm, I’m sensing some movie watching this weekend 😉

As soon as I read the title and saw the delapidated house, I knew what you were referring to! Nice work! Love the dark processing and the offset comp. @Justin- I actually HAVEN’T seen Titanic (started as a joke – it’s called commitment to a bit…) so I hope Mike doesn’t have a Movie Title Wed referring to that movie or I will be lost 😛

Titanic was awesome 🙂

Gonna have to figure out a way to squeeze that one in here soon 🙂

I love that movie… I’ve watched it several times and it’s one of those that if I happen to flip by it on TV, I end up stopping to watch it from whatever part. It’s really epic – it covers so many different issues and events during that time. That house really does fit the part for Jenny’s… makes me think she could be standing off to the right, getting ready to pelt it with rocks.

Thanks for including my photo opp in Monument Valley too! That was a surprising find. 🙂