The Remains of the Day

(Please click on the photo to see it larger…my lightbox plugin gets lonely sometimes)

Today’s Movie Title Wednesday film may be obscure for some of you out there. In fact, it’s kind of obscure for me too considering I only saw it once and it came out in 1993. My wife (then girlfriend) and I worked together at a movie theater back in those days and so we’d pretty much see everything that came out as long as the reviews were decent.

The Remains of the Day was a classic, well-done film. At least, I remember thinking it was one of the good ones. Check out the rating it has on IMDB…8.0…that’s high. I don’t remember much about it other than Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson were in it and it was one of those period-piece movies that not as many people go to see as they should.

My wife and I used to crave seeing stuff like that and it kind of makes me miss those good ol’ days. If you want to broaden your horizons a little bit, check it out…the performances are superb.

This photo is part of my little “Reflection” series that I started last week with a shot called “Criss Cross.” The movie’s plot doesn’t necessarily correlate too well with the image above, but the name of it certainly has quite a few layers of meaning.  The shot was taken after a rainstorm in downtown Phoenix after the sun had just disappeared. So you can kind of see the rain being a “remnant” of the day’s storm. It also should be fairly easy to connect the number “24” to a certain amount of hours in a day. There might be a few other links to the title, but I’ll let you make your own conclusions.

If anyone wonders how close I was to changing this series to TV Title Wednesdays so I could use a certain show starring Jack Bauer…it was definitely on my mind. *grin*

(exif: canon eos 5d mark ii, tamron 17-35mm 2.8, 17mm, f/10, iso 100)

Such an awesome shot. I like how I keep shifting from looking at the 24 and its texture to enjoying the reflection on the water. Great shot Mike!

2. Dave
    Dave says:

Another great reflection shot and I’m really liking the blue/grey colour, makes it look very gritty. Cool stylistic shot! 🙂

Thanks everyone…and especially James, while his comment is flattering and something I hear often, I like to distance myself from and quickly sidestep that distinction.

🙂

4. Steve Beal
    Steve Beal says:

I love the reflection shots, you have inspired me to look for opportunities for them but so far I haven’t hit anything that sticks. I love the contrast of warm and cool tones, great shot!

5. Scott Webb | Nuwomb
    Scott Webb | Nuwomb says:

Create creativity here and making use of wet weather.

Did you try flipping horizontally at all? I wonder how this would feel with the 24 not being upside-down. Not saying that is what should be done, but wondered if you explored that.

Awesome work here as usual

6. Chris Kenison
    Chris Kenison says:

Wow, really cool shot, Mike! I love your reflection shots! Just wanna let you know that I appreciate you and your work! It’s a constant inspiration for my work! Keep it up (so that I can too 😉 )

Hope everyone knows James Brandon’s comment and my reply to him were all tongue-in-cheek and inside jokes 🙂