The Grand Falls

(click on the image to see it full size or at least fit your screen for we with smaller resolutions)

Saturday a bunch of us, including photographers, wives and my little girl, all ventured up to northern Arizona to see the annual, gorgeous display at Grand Falls. The Falls don’t flow all year for the most part, they are the result of snow melt in the early spring or flash floods during major rainstorms.

I need to get to bed and have an early, early Monday morning trip to Vegas where I’ll be all week, but I wanted to post this shot from our trip. The day was absolutely perfect except for some very windy conditions. The clouds were magnificent and the skies a dark, rich blue. I don’t know what it is about northern Arizona, but with the clarity and richness in those skies, a circular polarizer is your best friend.

Lots more to come from the trip…including a gorgeous sunset and some high-def video of the Falls themselves, so you out-of-state-ers can get a better idea of the size and scale of this place. It’s absolutely a must-see.

(exif: canon eos 5d mark ii, tamron 17-35mm 2.8, 17mm, f/10, iso 100, 1/125sec, circular polarizer)

1. Mark Garbowski
    Mark Garbowski says:

Neat call going vertical on what would seem to be a perfect landscape orientated shot. You still got the width you need while giving a great sense of the vertical scale.

Man, you all came away with some spectacular shots from this area. I like the use of b/w on this shot as it really brings out some of the details of the sky, ground, and falling water. Cool shot!!

3. Brian Matiash
    Brian Matiash says:

What a spectacular view! Nice choice going with b/w and letting the tones do all the talking. Wish I could have joined. One day, perhaps.

4. Jan Winther
    Jan Winther says:

Holy Crap….what a spectacular shot!!! I spend quite a few minutes on this one.
    I wish I had shot that.

5. Dave Wilson
    Dave Wilson says:

Now that’s quite some view! I had not heard of Grand Falls before reading this but it definitely looks like it would be worth adding to the increasingly long list of cool Arizona places I need to visit some day.

I just want to thank everyone for the warm reception you gave this photo. I personally love it and had already been planning to get it printed on a canvas once I was done processing it 🙂

Appreciate everyone’s support and kind words!