Into the West

(to see the image larger or so it fits into your screen resolution, have a click-see)

It’s been awhile since I posted any images from our trip up to the abandoned ghost town of Two Guns, Arizona. First off, you gotta love a name like that. If there was ever a contest to name an old west town in Arizona…that has to be up at the top.

I will say, the structures left behind at Two Guns weren’t exactly what you’d picture seeing if you heard “ghost town”. Normally you’d think of old wooden saloons, stables, whatever. At least, that’s what floats into my head. But Two Guns was pretty much made up entirely of old stone walls and wooden support beams where they still existed. And only one or two places still had a roof up.

The windows became obvious culprits in framing some of our shots. My buddy Ken Peterson posted a photograph from a different spot last week. I liked this little lone tree-ish looking thing up on the cliff through the window in this room. I tried it with my 50mm at first, but it proved lacking. I dig how my wide angle brought in not only the window, but the lack of a roof.

Title of this post was taken from the soundtrack of Return of the King.

(exif: canon eos 5d mark ii, tamron 17-35mm 2.8, 17mm, iso 100, f/16)

On our way home from Monument Valley, we saw the sign for Two Guns and stopped in, took some great shots. I totally missed this spot – was a bit too into the graffiti I guess. Great composition!

2. Jesse
    Jesse says:

This is damn cool Mike. The framing is just perfect. This could be a movie poster. Totally the best name possible for an old western town.

Kristi…the area was pretty expansive and kind of hard to see. There was an old bridge, did you get to see that? I got a great shot from underneath it…been saving it 🙂

I think the graffiti part was from the more modern Two Guns motorhome park 🙂 I got some shots there too 🙂

Thanks Jesse…if it’s even a movie poster, I’ll let you know. Glad you agree on the name 🙂

4. Jason Hines
    Jason Hines says:

I didn’t even know where this place was until this weekend when we were driving back home down I-40. Wouldn’t have stopped if I hadn’t have heard them name from you. Awesome capture Mike, I just love it!

5. murphyz
    murphyz says:

Great capture Mike; I just imagine one guy with one of the ‘Two Guns’ in this building and the other beside the tree thingy shooting at each other. Pew Pew!

6. Mark Blundell
    Mark Blundell says:

Lovely image – looks like a wild west hang out where there could well have been guys with Two Guns. – nice framing and processing. really like this one.

Thanks so much everyone for the kind words. Glad I’m not the only one who loves the town name 🙂