Dark City

(click on the image above to see it fit to your desktop resolution…and view it in a nicely framed lightbox)

I’m a huge science fiction movie fan. Not really so much the silly stuff that’s out there, but more of the solid, make-you-think kind of films, like Primer, Children of Men or Moon. When I completed this image and decided to use it for Movie Title Wednesday, I actually was thinking Inception at first, but without realizing it, I had been saying the true title to myself over and over while staring at it.

Dark City.

First off, I need to be honest. I saw the movie a long time ago and most of what I remember is that Keifer Sutherland was in it…it was dark and the ending was awesome. Oh, and I liked it. But I forgot everything else. I had to look up the plot again on IMDB just to remind myself. I even failed to remember that Jennifer Connelly was in it…and that’s hard to do.

If you haven’t seen it and love great sci-fi, go rent it asap. Almost everyone I know who has seen it thought it was brilliant. It’s kind of a cult classic in the way that not everyone knows about it but at the same time has a huge following. Like Firefly.

Also, if you haven’t seen Primer, Children of Men or Moon…well, rent them too.

This photo comes from two nights ago after it rained for half the day. I was hoping it would start clearing up before the sun went down and I got lucky. What I love about weather…is that even if I’m in the most urban of environments, I can still include it in my images. The leftover puddles…the clouds. I basically left home with the idea to find reflections in puddles wherever I could and I can’t wait to post the other shots I got from this night.

One last thing about this image. It’s HDR. It’s kind of dark. There are details you can’t see because of the shadows. And I love it. Don’t be afraid to process your high dynamic range images with details lost  in shadows. I know it seems counter-intuitive to capture the entire light range of a scene and then not show it all…but I urge you to give it a shot.

Also, I shot this with my 50mm 1.4. I *heart* that lens.

I don’t even know where to begin on this shot. I really like that you offset the tracks and that the powerline really leads you down into the fram. Also, LOVE Dark City! Great shot and post Mike!

2. Jim Denham
    Jim Denham says:

Brilliant image Mike! I like when shadows are included in HDR images and this one is perfect. It sets the scene and the mood, along with the clouds! Just brilliant!

Nice job Mike, love the shadows in this image contrasing with the bright sky. Great use of the lines from the train tracks…

Thanks so much for the great comments today guys!

I had to avoid getting nailed by a light rail train right before this shot…took a bit of time to setup and get the angle right being so low and with the 50mm.

5. Toad Hollow Photography
    Toad Hollow Photography says:

Wow Mike, talk about a breathtaking shot! I love the brooding sky and how the buildings are almost silhouettes, but one of my favorite elements here is that wire that cuts the sky in half if you can believe that! I really love the drama it adds and the way it leads the eye down the frame!!

6. Justin
    Justin says:

Great image. Every time I get low, I always wish my D700 had the articulating screen of my D5000. It would save the back every time!

1. […] had a rare moment of rain, I decided to head downtown around dusk to get some reflection shots. My Dark City image last week was the first shot I took, but then I forced myself to start looking […]