Rest in peace, great-grandpa Bob

Back on this past December 4th, I did a photoshoot for 13 people, a family ranging from a little girl all the way up to her great-grandfather Bob. Well, the old guy was in a wheelchair and didn’t talk a whole lot, but I loved the character in his face and I could tell how much he adored his family and especially those two great-grandkids, Collin and Danica.

I mean, look at the photo of him above…was a sweet, kind face…with wise ol’ eyes that you know have seen some amazing things of the course of his life.

I was wandering Facebook tonight and saw the really sad news via one of his grandkids that Bob passed away this past Thursday. Ugh, didn’t expect to see that. I know the entire family is mourning right now and I’m sure the two little kiddies are having a tough time dealing with the loss of a great-granddad. My prayers are with you guys.

This painful time in their lives obviously has little to do with a photographer who only spent a few hours with them all…but I have to say, it’s a very strange thing to have just taken pictures of someone and then find out news like this. It’s a bit surreal and incredibly emotional. Plus I know from the family how much the two great-grandkids loved Bob, so I can’t imagine what they are feeling right now.

A lot of people who saw the photos from the shoot really enjoyed this one below of Bob and Danica. It’s actually a little hard for me to look at right now. Sometimes you take photos for families and perhaps don’t really think about them too much after that, but I know now that this will be one I cherish for a very, very long time.

Rest in peace Bob.

Very touching post Mike. Those shots are just wonderful and are a great tribute to great grandpa Bob.

2. Mark Blundell
    Mark Blundell says:

Lovely post, its hard dealing with this and despite not having spent much time witht he family, its obvious that you were touched by them. Maybe the family knew that this bad news was on the way and having you take some images for them was a way of ensuring that they had great memories of everyone together.
    Thoughts obviously with the family at this hard time.

3. Heather
    Heather says:

Wow. This brings back so many memories of my kids and their “Old Papa” we don’t have very many memories in photo like this though 🙁

My condolences to this amazing family~

4. Kat
    Kat says:

Hi Mike. I also came by your site through DPS. My grandpa’s going 86 this year. I try to take pictures and videos of him as much as possible. I lost my other grandparents a few years back, but I’m grateful to have spent more than 20 years with them. These kids will appreciate your photos when they get older.

5. Rebecca
    Rebecca says:

Wow these images really speak a story and pour out so much love and emotion without even have known in the beginning that their GreatGrandpa had passed away. What a beautiful capture. When these lil ones grow up they will never forget the love they had for each other w/ their grandpa.
    Totally inspired!

6. Amitav Roy
    Amitav Roy says:

Hi,
    First of all sorry to hear about your grandfather.
    But yes, the pictures are simply amazing and really liked them. It reminded me of my own grandfather and I guess for that I should thank you.

Happy clicking.

1. […] love this image by Mike Olbinski. It’s from a photo shoot he did for a family back in December (http://www.mikeolbinski.com/2011/01/rest-in-peace-great-grandpa-bob/). The post Mike wrote speaks to the importance of getting family portraits done and getting them […]

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Scott Wyden Kivowitz and Mike Olbinski, Brian Matiash. Brian Matiash said: RT @MikeOlbinski: Rest in peace, great-grandpa Bob – http://bit.ly/fQyoGW ^Very touching, human post w/some images you should be proud of. […]