Must

Rainy Reflection Downtown Phoenix Road

There are a lot of “musts” in this photo…all traffic must turn right…you must not park here…you must stop ahead…and of course at the time I thought “I must take this photo.

What is it about me and the weather? I mean, first it was lightning, then it was photographing awesome monsoon clouds across the desert and that was followed closely with wanting to chase storms in the midwest. On this night, it was the thought of rainy, reflective roads that got me out shooting around downtown Phoenix until midnight. If it hadn’t rained, I wouldn’t have been out there, that much is certain.

This image is part of my continued love affair with my 50mm 1.4 and the amazing fun I have shooting low to the ground, opening up the aperture, using Live View and manually focusing to find that sweet spot.

(exif: rebel xsi, 50mm 1.4, f/1.6, iso100, 1/4sec)

1. Rob Hanson
    Rob Hanson says:

No weather, no photo.

This comp is really grabbing me. Although the eye wants to go to the building, the arrow pulls it back and tells it where to look. The frame is darker on the left than on the right, so I can already feel myself taking a right turn… Great work!

2. Chris Kenison
    Chris Kenison says:

Wow, for such an everyday thing, you’ve really done a good job at making it interesting! Great job, Mike! Photography is starting to work into my dreams now… had a dream about shooting lightning and forgot about it until I read this post!

3. Mark Blundell
    Mark Blundell says:

I like it too- the low down works well, and the B+W goes well as well.
    Its a shame that the constituent parts of the image aren’t more positive – ‘dont park, ‘STOP’, ‘Must Turn Right’, my challenge for you is to find a location with choices!!

4. d i l i p
    d i l i p says:

Love this shot, Mike. Beautiful composition and black and white just takes it to a different mood altogether. And the moment I saw the photo, I felt I *must* write a comment! 🙂

5. Bob Lussier
    Bob Lussier says:

Oh yes. You MUST have a good eye, otherwise I wouldn’t be coming back here. Im a lover of the 50mm f1.4 as well. Great capture here. Wet pavement and shallow DOF just beg for the B&W treatment!

Again, spot on with the composition and the B&W processing! Love the wet pavement and blur of the building… I MUST upgrade to the 50mm 1.4! 🙂

1. […] was a recent photo posted by Mike Olbinski in which he took a shot close to the road in the middle of the night. This shot has remained in my mind ever since I saw […]

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mike Olbinski and Jim Denham, Chris Nitz. Chris Nitz said: Wow! RT @MikeOlbinski: From downtown Phoenix…a photo full of "musts" – http://bit.ly/dGCWQJ #fb #photog […]