Moving foward

Today is kind of a huge deal for me. A big deal. The next chapter of my life is unfolding in a few different ways and I’m excited about what it all means.

First off…for those that don’t know, I do have a day job that pays the bills while I see about growing this photography business. Everyone has to start somewhere, and me being almost 36 with a wife and kid…doesn’t allow for taking a whole lot of chances financially. I did that when I was younger, so now I’m trying to build a strong foundation before I even think about it. And who knows…maybe it will always end up being a weekend gig…but I’m okay with seeing where it goes. It’s been a blast so far.

The reason I  bring up the job is today is my last day at the company I’ve been with for over seven years. For lots of reasons it’s time to move on. I’m joining a firm that is international and will essentially be doing the same thing I am now. Having been one place for as long as I have…you get used to the perks that come with seniority like that. So going to someplace else…being the new guy again…is going to be a change.

And yesterday I finally received the new camera…a 5D Mark II. Yes, of course, it’s an awesome toy, a photographer’s dream to have. But honestly…if I was just chasing storms and shooting landscapes, I could have been just fine with the ol’ XSi for awhile. This tool is something I felt I needed in order to move forward with the portrait/event/wedding photography side of things. One simple reason is some upcoming events I have that take place after dark, in low light situations. I need a camera that can deal with that and not need a flash all the time to do it.

The photo above was taken last night with the new camera. 50mm 1.4, f/1.4, 1/40, ISO2000. A tiny, tiny bit of noise reduction, some sharpening on export and it’s just a sample to me of the kind of shots I will be able to get in situations like a dimly lit living room.

Today is a day of change and a day of moving forward. I’m excited about the new job and new opportunities it presents…and at the same time am thrilled to see where the world of photography is taking me and the doors that are opening.

1. Heath O'Fee
    Heath O'Fee says:

Good luck with everything going forward, Mike. I have no doubt you’ll be successful at the new job, and I wish you the best of luck with the growing photography business.

2. Scott Ackerman
    Scott Ackerman says:

Good luck with the change of scenery Mike. I’m sure it will work out nice for ya. And of course, congrats on the 5DII. If the above pic means anything, I’m sure we’re in for some great shots with the new gear.

3. Chris Wray
    Chris Wray says:

Change is good, scary but good. Wishing you all the best with your new gig and I know you’ll have fun with the 5D. I like the dog shot. Nice soft dof. Love your dog’s contemplative expression. Fitting for your blog post.

4. Jan Winther
    Jan Winther says:

It seems a lot of things happens at the same time.

Good luck with your new job, your photography business and your new camera. I wish you the best.

Thank you all so much for the well wishes and kind words…so excited to be moving on in both places, can’t wait to see what’s next!

6. Dave
    Dave says:

Very nice test shot with your new toy. I do hope you get to reap the benefits of the cameras low light capabilities, plus looking like a ‘pro’ camera it should wow the client. I myself am in the same predicament, 36 yrs old, wife + 2kids, taking chances financially is not something I can afford to get wrong. The way you’re going forward seems to be the best route and I hope over time your photography really takes off. I will be watching with eager eyes.
    Good luck, you certainly have the talent!. 🙂

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mike Olbinski and daooolu, Christopher Wray. Christopher Wray said: @MikeOlbinski http://bit.ly/gYUcri | Best of luck with new gig, Mike. […]